I have always been a lover of veggies, but some times I’m just not in the mood to eat meat. Meat contains a ton of essential nutrients so I do enjoy it on regular basis, but I choose to skip it entirely about one day a week (something my husband will never understand). Anyways, for you fellow veggie lovers out there- here is a SUPER simple 20 minute meatless dinner idea that still packs a powerful protein punch (17-20 grams per serving)!
Ingredients (serves 6):
3-4 whole vegetables of your choosing (I used 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 zucchini and 1/2 red onion) *eggplant, broccoli and tomato would be excellent choices as well*
2 cups uncooked Barilla Protein Plus penne pasta
4 oz goat cheese
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 bunch fresh basil
*Optional: pine nuts for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash and slice vegetables into bite size pieces. Lay flat in single layer on lightly greased baking sheet & roast in over for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly soft (but not mushy).
3. While vegetables are roasting, prepare pasta according to directions on package.
4. Add olive oil, garlic and basil to food processor and blend until well combined.
5. Combine vegetables, pasta and sauce and mix well. Crumble goat cheese and stir in last.
6. Serve 1 cup of pasta topped with a sunny side up egg for 17 grams of protein per serving. *Optional: add even more protein by garnishing with pine nuts*